Amazing Bosses 3 - Dr. Ms. Amrita Patel



Honestly I would be wrong if I said that I had worked closely with her since she was the CEO of a giant organisation and I was just the junior most lackey. But 2 incidents gave me an education that I have carried with me.

The first was when we built a set of apartments and everybody from the head office designers to the architects had approved everything. Ready for occupancy she came for a visit. In the Kitchen she asked that we find something that could resemble in size to a typical vessel used for cooking at home. She asked us to try washing it under the sink tap and as we washed the water spilt all over the edges. She said – “Change every tap in every apartment. People can’t stay like this. This is common sense, not engineering and learn to use that more often to be successful.”

The second I would actually say I should be personally indebted to her. In the initial stages of the project I just blindly did whatever any of the different big bosses told us. One such was purchasing a then uncommon item which was replaced 3 times because each time one of them would have some objection. I was advised to get it from a particular source, the only one who had this item. Much later to my horror I found this source had created fake quotations and the auditors proved this. If I had spent some time looking at the documents maybe I would have realised that myself.

But the damage was done. Officially there was an audit report that a fraud had been committed under my watch and the obvious interpretation was some under hand dealing involving me. I was sure that if I didn’t go to jail, I would lose my job in disgrace. I was summoned by Dr. Amrita Patel and was petrified as I entered her chamber. My wife accompanied me with equal fear and waited outside her chamber.

Dr. Patel asked me sit down, no smile, asked me to explain everything related to the purchase leaving no point however small out. I did so and her first question was “Do YOU think there was any reason to replace the item 3 times?” I said No. She asked why I did not tell that to the big bosses. I had no answer. She asked – “So will you do whatever any boss will tell you? Is that how you have been trained in IRMA?”. I did not have much to say except a No. She said “In your career you will come across such situations many times and if you yourself are not convinced about a decision; you must learn to stand up. Develop the courage to push back if you want to succeed.”

All I could do was nod still petrified. She said “Whatever has happened has happened. This should never repeat in your life. But I have no choice and must take action against you. Being young I will issue a strong warning letter reprimanding you on this matter”. I left, partly relieved but knowing that the letter could haunt me for life.

As I was opening the door of her chamber to step out, she called my name, I turned, and she smiled and said, “There will be just one copy of that letter”.

It’s rare that a CEO would believe a junior most person and advice that they must be ready to stand up and disagree even with the senior most management if need be. She deserves to be a amazing boss in my book.

Comments

Popular Posts